Monday, October 1, 2012

Manis for a Cause: Polish Us Pink

 I'm getting together with a group of bloggers this month to blog about Breast Cancer Awareness and do a mani in support. Don't forget to check out the links to the other posts at the bottom!

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. 1 in 8 U.S. women will develop invasive breast cancer in her lifetime, and even men can get this cancer. To the survivors, the people struggling with it today, and the people whose lives have been touched by it, this is for you.
 I used an unnamed Love and Beauty polish that's bubblegum pink with silver shimmer. On top I added a coat of my new Rainbow Polish Taffy. It's a matte pastel glitter with some iridescent.


I have known many people with breast cancer, survivors and not - A lovely neighbor and family friend, my neighbor across the street, my mother's co-worker, my stepmother. All strong and brave women.

Now my father's colon cancer has recurred and it isn't looking so great this time. The thing that I have learned by having these people in my life touched by cancer...? Get checked. That screening you're supposed to have at age 40, do it. That one at 45? Do it. That yearly pap? Do it. Sure, they all suck, but cancer sucks more.

This is the gift Marian gave me the Christmas after she died. Yes, you heard that right. Sharon, her mother, who I am very close to, was shopping for presents this past Christmas and suddenly just started going around and picking out seemly random things, almost automatically. When she was done just a couple minutes later, she looked in her basket and realized she had one gift for everyone that Marian would have wanted to give a gift to, and that Marian helped her pick them out. This was perfect for me, as Sharon actually presented it to me in a pink pouch with a breast cancer ribbon on it.
Confession: Marian and I grew up in the mountains and hiked many times a year. One morning we were feeling especially cheeky and decided to hike topless. We never thought what we'd actually say when we came upon someone...and of course we did. The stranger said to us "don't you have shirts" seeming quite worried. We covered our boobs and ran by screaming "SUPPORT BREAST CANCER!" :P Yea we were nuts lol.


As you can see from this bottle shot, Taffy has large hexes in green and white; medium hexes in lavender, pink, white; medium blue squares; and small hexes in white and blue. All that in a clear base. This polish really makes me think of cupcake sprinkles!

Feel free to join in the fun this month as we post a mani in support of breast cancer every Monday in October. Don't forget to tag your posts on Twitter/Instagram with #PolishUsPink!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous mani Megan!! What a funny story about hiking topless :o I hope your father manages to beat the cancer, *hugs* to you and your family. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments, and always read every one!